Monday, December 05, 2011

EMBER ROASTED POTATOS




As I mentioned here before, our primary source of heating this place is a wood fired cast iron  oven. Heats well and radiates hours later. Victoria is the more practical adult in the house, but I get up first. 
So, once I understood how to operate that beast without smoking up the whole barn (Victoria got tired of waking up with a coughing fit), it's my favorite thing to do when the weather asks for a fire. Such was the case this weekend with the rain. 

While I was admiring my primal instincts of providing warmth for the family, another thought started to creep in. Caveman needs to feed family. What if that oven would become a source not only for heat, but for cooked food as well? Not wanting to waste a nice piece of beef on my first attempt, I started the experiment with the lowly potato. 

Amazing. You can take me camping now, this suburban male is now able to provide heat and food in the wild.
 All it took was maybe 10 minutes of roasting those Pommes de Terre alongside the glowing embers. The garlic gave them a nice flavor and they were gone before the beef went into the oven.
I am on to something.



OLIVE OIL, SALT & PEPPER, WRAPPED IN ALUMINUM


HOT IN THERE


IN GOES THE POCKET OF POTATOS


10 MINUTES. DONE AND DELICIOUS

1 comment:

Ken Broadhurst said...

Two years ago when we had a 5-day power outage, we did some cooking on our wood-burning stove. Maybe it's time to try it again.