Saturday, November 05, 2011

MARKET DAY IN SAINT JEAN D'ANGELY

St. Jean d'Angely, with a population of ca. 8000 people, is the closest town to our hamlet where you will find a weekly market. Held Wednesdays and Saturdays, we got to check it out today.
A market to me is not only what it has to offer, but the setting as well. This one is located in the city centre, part indoors, part market square. A busy market square, lined with shops, Cafes and offices.Which certainly adds to the whole atmosphere.

While you find some clothing vendors, it's safe to say that 95% on offer is food. And besides the chicken rotisserie we did not see any prepared food vendors, which is the biggest difference to me, compared to your average North American Farmers' market venue. People come to buy food for cooking it seems. Not to eat. Socializing happens while standing around, not eating Waffles or Hamburgers. or in a Cafe after all are done shopping.

A wide range of products are available at this market, what surprised me the most was how busy the place was. Especially the butchers and fish mongers had line ups all morning. There was only one baker on site, maybe because there are five Boulangeries within 3 minutes of that market?

We bought some basics for weekend cooking, but my best score must be the Anchovies. Pickled, not salted, I used to buy them at Lina's in Calgary.  
Though I set myself a goal of not comparing prices of anything on this Blog, as the grass is NOT greener on the other side, I have to say it. These Anchovies were about 75% less here than what I paid for them in Calgary. And that's amazing.






THE SQUARE OUTSIDE 


IT'S A BUSY PLACE


THE ROTISSERIE


THE HALL


THE ATLANTIC IS ONLY 50KM AWAY, FRESH FISH


SMALL DELI BOOTH


IT'S A BUSY PLACE


PATES, RILLETES AND MOUSSE


SEE THE TONGUE?


FOOD THAT HAS WINGS


OYSTERS. FRANCE IS THE LARGEST PRODUCER IN EUROPE


MAIS OUI, LES MACARONS


VEGETABLES AND FRUITS

ANCHOVIES. PICKLED

8 comments:

Nadege said...

I have seen your comments on David Lebovitz's blog before. Good lucky with your new life in France! I will be re-discovering my old country through your eyes.

Bolli's Kitchen said...

très sympa, c'est ça la France, même dans les petites villes, on a des marchés superbes!

Ken Broadhurst said...

That really does look like a fantastic market. And I agree with you about the differences between North American and French markets. In France, you don't go to the market to eat, but to buy products you can take home and cook. Eating is done around a table, not on a bench somewhere.

Saint-Jean-d'A. is about the same size as Loches, from what you say, but the market looks much bigger. Nice to have that covered market hall.

H.Peter said...

Stay tuned nadege, there is hopefully more to come....

H.Peter said...

Well, if I look at your Blog Bolli, I still have lots to learn when it comes to cooking

H.Peter said...

Yes Ken, this took me by surprise. a positive one though. can't wait to cook more.

I fell as there are many less "food tourists" as well, if you walk a NA market, you see a disproportionate amount of people looking, eating a Burger, then leave empty handed....

A Canadian Foodie said...

I love European Markets! You learn so much about the culture through the food at the market... and, yes - they cook! And each has their favourite butcher and monger, etc... which makes sense, of course - if you cook and there are butchers and mongers at your market! I miss access to a neighbourhood butcher here, for sure. You and my dad can enjoy your sardines I love fresh fish. Pickled etc is not for me... but I LOVED the fresh herring (raw, I think) I ate in Amsterdam!
:)
V

H.Peter said...

Hi Valerie,

we will be in Austria this summer and one of my plans is to visit your husband's home country. Can't wait to show my family that part of Europe too.