Sunday, November 20, 2011

GLUTEN FREE MADELEINES



Not that Victoria's bakery in Cochrane was very large compared to other gluten free bakeries who boast walk in sized equipment, but here in our cozy little house in France, she is battling with an oven that is the normal size in a normal house in Europe. My mother's in Austria isn't any larger...
Which then can make it a challenge (to say the least) to bake some glorious gluten free breads, buns, etc. 

Apparently Madame Anderberg-Edlinger loves a challenge, because since we landed, she is baking away. Smaller quantities, more frequent, but so far no complaints from the peanut gallery. The buns turn out excellent, which is vital for Isabella and her mother. 

This weekend, it was time to make that french sponge cake based cookie, Madeleines. Or is it a cake. For me, one bite, it's gone, so I declare it a cookie. If I'd need a fork, it's a cake. 

I already mentioned the KitchenAid mixer we had to buy, nothing else will do for Madame, plus all the basic tools and flour mix we shipped from Calgary ( The largest cupboard is full of her equipment), so in all honesty, the baking is OK. Minus the oven situation for volume of course.

The madeleines turned out very good, not a surprise really. That flour mix of hers is amazing. So. Once we find a big sized oven, I hope more cookies. Many more. And cakes. And brioche. Life is good with sugar.








THE QUINTESSENTIAL FRENCH COOKIE

LOADS OF GOOD FRENCH BUTTER

EGGS FROM BROWN CHICKENS?

GF PATISSERIE FLOUR MIX AND SUGAR

INVENTIVE WAY TO CLARIFY THE BUTTER

VICTORIA BOUGHT THESE PANs IN ORLEANS

SHE DID NOT WANT A KENWOOD OR KRUPS, IT HAD TO BE KITCHENAID

A SIZE CHALLENGED OVEN MAKES IT INTERESTING FOR VICTORIA

THIS 4' BOX WAS MOSTLY FULL WITH VICTORIA'S BAKING ESSENTIALS....

2 comments:

Kerry in Houston said...

I am intrigued. What is in her GF patisserie flour mix. Please let me know. I have a son who requires GF, but LOVES madeleines. Please advise me as to what makes the perfect flour mix for them.

Kerry in Houston

H.Peter said...

Hi Kerry,

somewhere on my Blog is an article about her flour mix. Even as her husband I am not privy to all the details.
As secret as the formula for Coke.

Please visit www.beaumondebakery.com
They are in Vegas and may sell the flour by the pound.

All I can say is that I grew up on pastries in Europe and if my wife's baking would be not good, I wouldnot eeat it.....