Tuesday, November 08, 2011

FRESH FISH

Intermarche. Think Superstore or similar. On today's visit, while Victoria was looking for something, I went ahead to check out the fish display, which in St. Jean is manned by a vendor who seems to know his fish. 
Had a listen to his conversation with a couple of customers, not only did he tell them where the fish came from, but also gave his personal opinion how to prepare them. Impressive if you ask me.

I saw some Sardine filets and in my heavy accented french asked him how to cook them. Off he went on a spiel that was hard to follow in detail, but the rough cut sounded like, it's easy, some butter not too long, a minute maybe, not longer or I kill the fish, etc etc. Oy. 
D'Accord. Pour deux personnes s'il vous plait. 

It's not that hard if you just make some effort to speak a language, they actually smile and are friendly. Victoria pointed that out to me yesterday that so far everybody was so friendly where ever we went...

So. This post is for Bruno, who, after a summer of leisure in Europe, made his way back to Calgary a week before we left. he told me all about the fish and to eat as much as I can. I am starting Bruno, I am starting.


FRESH SARDINES


PERFECT FOR AN APPETIZER


MELT SOME BUTTER


MAYBE A MINUTE EACH SIDE ON MED HIGH


SOME LEMON JUICE & SALT


CHOPPED PARSLEY, AND ENJOY!

1 comment:

A Canadian Foodie said...

We just got back from Italy Sunday - so I see I have some catching up to do. Those look like BIG sardines! YUM! Looks SO delicious! You did not describe how yummy they were, but the picture certainly has my mouth watering. When I see a photo of you on a bike wearing a beret with a loaf of bread under your arm, I will know you have assimilated!
:)
V