Wednesday, May 18, 2011

GLUTEN FREE TOSTADAS



In preparation for a trip south, I've been reading some very tempting food blogs and two of them wrote about a road trip to Tijuana, Mexico. For me, those images and words are Anthony Robbins quality motivation to cook. Seriously. Look.



Now, it's not possible to whip up those types of authentic Tacos and other fine things on a whim here in Calgary, but any flavor reminisce of Mexico will do. 
So I got some Corn Tortillas from this place,


and bought all other necessary ingredients to make Tostadas.
Tostadas are basically Tacos without getting a stiff neck. Deep frying the Tortillas makes them crispy and you can treat it like a Pizza. Mexican Pizza.
 As for toppings, if you put it in a Taco, you can put it on a Tostada. Anything goes.

If your kids say, "I don't like Tostadas" before they tried one, just threaten them with a six month exchange for a child from Mexico, where they have to eat them EVERY DAY. It worked in our house ......and she liked it!

Crema: Half Sour Cream, half cream, pinch of salt.
Guacamole: Keep it simple. A good Avocado needs almost nothing.
Try a pinch of Cumin in your meat, it gives it a great flavor. I also added some liquid smoke which gives that lame Hamburger meat some sort of depth in a short time.

LOADS OF INGREDIENTS


BROWN THE MEAT, ADD SPICES


MAKE SOME SIMPLE GUACAMOLE


AVOCADO, TOMATO, SALT, CHIPOTLE SAUCE, LIME JUICE


MY LEAST FAVORITE INGREDIENT, REFRIED BEANS. VICTORIA'S FAVORITE

ALL THE CONDIMENTS THAT FIT

DEEP FRY THE TORTILLA IN REALLY HOT OIL


MAKES IT CRISPY & TASTY

NOW ADD WHAT YOU LIKE. BEANS


CREMA, MEAT


CHEESE, GREENS, TOMATO


HOT SAUCE, CILANTRO, GUACAMOLE, LEMON

EAT LIKE A PIZZA. NO KINK IN THE NECK

2 comments:

Terry said...

Ummmmmm those tostados look really good. I have to watch the sour cream.

I had candida and became very alllergic to gluten, milk.. almost everything I put in my mouth. I have done a lot of cleansing and diets and probiotics. Finally I can again eat gluten, although I don't eat white or enriched flour.

Would love to have you drop by my blog and say hello. I have a gluten free blog list that I will add your blog to if you are interested. Stop by and let me know. Thanks Terry

Pamela said...

Those Tostadas look delicious, I have seen them in the store but was not quite sure if they would fall apart easily while eating. Thanks for the idea.



I have also added a link to your website to my blog and as I had reviewed the Celiac Market a few weeks ago, I mentioned your yummy bakery. Have a look if you would like: http://glutenfreetwinmom.blogspot.com