Sunday, February 27, 2011

COLABO SHANGHAI

In the past I have written plenty about Chinese food in China and you can read some of the stories here:



So this time, I wanted to post something about the ever developing dining scene in Shanghai. One of my favorite cities, I had a 48 hour downtime this trip, no customers tagged along, all business was done, it was just leisure time. Rare and fun.

On purpose I chose an old world hotel in the French Concession over my usual business style hotels, an area not too far from downtown, yet very different. Old world architecture with the best mix of old and new in Shanghai. Lots of young locals and expats alike opened art galleries, boutiques and restaurants in this very walkable area of Shanghai.

Colabo was on my Radar for a while, but this time, by myself, I finally wanted to check it out.  Located on the upper floors of an old Villa, this Italian restaurant is one of the favorite places for expats in Shanghai.

It was my last supper on this trip and all they offered were set meals. I chose the three course one, salad, Pizza and dessert.
Well worth it. After all, six days of Chinese food, three times/day, I deserved some Western food....
The salad was really good, with mixed greens and a nice dressing.
The thin crust Pizza was not Pulcinella or Famoso, but still very very good. Their Salami just did not taste all that Salami. The mushrooms were extremely pungent.
Dessert was a miss, some chocolate pudding cake that really had no distinct flavor. Espresso con Panna, a hit. I did not expect such a good coffee in Shanghai.

Considering that the kitchen brigade is 100% locals, I can recommend this place for a good, solid outing in Shanghai





 FRENCH CONCESSION ARCHITECTURE


 COOL SPACE HEATER

 iPADS EVERYWHERE


 GREENS WITH CHICKEN BITS

GOOD BREAD 

 GREAT TASTING PIE


 SO SO DESSERT

DOPPIO CON PANNA 

ABOUT $18.00 ALL IN, NO TIPS 

2 comments:

bruleeblog said...

Growing up, my mom made me Hong Kong style spaghetti - ketchup is the main tomato ingredient.

When I saw your post the first thing I thought of was "I wonder if they use ketchup?" :)

H.Peter said...

I do have a China-Ketchup-Restaurant story in the pipeline, check back next week....