Sunday, August 29, 2010

GLUTEN FREE PEACH CRISP



Considering today's nasty weather, 7 degrees and raining, I guess summer is over.  Some of you are asking, "What summer?"  We feel just as cheated as you, Calgary was a little short on warm weather this year...even all the kids going back to school aren't nearly as excited as last year.  I know this because we've been asking almost every kid who came in to the shop with their parents this week.

I always have Sunday/Monday off work, but with a bunch of stuff to do around the house and for work, it is a day to sit around in my most comfortable sweats and enjoy lazing around as I get it all done.  The Celiac Husband bought some fresh peaches from the Farmer's Market, inevitably he asked me to make peach crisp.

This is an easy one, so I've included the recipe for the streusel topping below.  You can use it for pretty much any fruit of your choice, but peaches or apples are always the tastiest.  (And if you aren't as big a fan of cinnamon as I am--it's my favourite spice any time of year, and why I LOVE FALL BAKING--then feel free to adjust to your own taste).



Streusel:

1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup GFP Flour Mix
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cream
1 tbsp cinnamon

Fruit:
6-7 Fresh peaches, or the equivalent amount in frozen ones
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp GFP Flour Mix
1 tsp cinnamon

All you have to do for this recipe is toss all the streusel ingredients in a bowl (I told you it was easy!), and use a pastry blender (or a fork if you don't have one), and combine until it starts to come together into walnut sized chunks.  Don't worry if some pieces are bigger, you can break them up with your fingers when you put it on top of your fruit.

For the fruit, cut into slices.  Toss with the sugar, flour mix, and cinnamon and place in a glass or ceramic baking dish.  Top with streusel and bake at 375F for 35 mins.  The fruit will be bubbling and the streusel will be a crisp, golden brown.

Take your desired portion with a scoop of your favourite vanilla bean ice cream, and enjoy!

--Lauren

2 comments:

ellorneo said...

nom nom nom. Sounds delicious!

Glomama said...

Come to Michigan in the summer if you feel the need for warmth!! Your recipe looks divine and thinking I should make it soon. The peaches are really coming in here along with blueberries!!