Sunday, August 08, 2010

GLUTEN FREE BATTLEGROUND


I commend you, glutenfree bakers.

Yes, I do cook gluten free, but when it comes to baking and pastries, my nerves do not last. That gooey, sticky mess you have to deal with to create something so good, so tasty, so similar to real breads and cakes, I cannot do it. I have read your Blogs, I have salivated over your images and I admire you. I know it's a battle. But you are good at it.

Case in point, I made more apricot dumplings today. It's a summer favorite around the hosue and I love to make the family smile. But what a mess!! I opted for the QUARK dough over potato dough again and let me tell you, it took all my will power not to call Victoria (who was at the bakery today experimenting) for help...

I think patience comes in short supply for me and to make these little fruit balls not explode or rock hard, you need patience. Lots of it. Cleaning up the mess took longer than prep work and cook time. Flour everywhere.

In the end, let me tell you it was worth it. Rolled in gluten free bread crumbs, topped with more icing sugar and melted butter, it's summer on your plate.

Coming back to gluten free baking, a long time customer of GF PATISSERIE who recently moved back to Newfoundland is opening a 100% gluten free Bakery and Cafe out there using Victoria's recipes.
Stay tuned for all the details. Las Vegas & Scottsdale will open up this fall as well.

Yes, Victoria's recipes and concept are now available. Email her if you are interested in opening up a place in your area.



YOU HAVE NO IDEA

NOW CLOSE THE DOUGH AROUND THE FRUIT

I MADE IT


2 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Bravo, my friend! Now I need to go back to the grocery store to get apricots and sugar cubes so I can make these. :-) Did you have music playing while you were in the kitchen? That can sometimes make me chill out more and, hence, be more patient. ;-)

Way cool on all the GF Patisserie happenings!

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Hello Shirley,

no music. I am not sure if it would help a choleric guy like me.
I prefer screaming!