Sunday, May 09, 2010

BURGERS & BURRITOS

Whenever I go to Edmonton these days, I read some Blogs from our capital that relate to food in order to find place to go to, that we don't have in Calgary.
 In the past Famoso was it, but now that we got our own, I was looking for something new and worthwhile. Below are some great resource for finding food in Edmonton.
This time, I read some good feedback about a place called RODEO BURGER, including a comment on Chowhound that it's comparable to In-N-Out Burger in the States. Now that's hard to believe.
I mean In-N-Out Burger does not live on fumes of glories past, like Peter's Drive In in Calgary. In-N-Out is the holy grail of fast food Burgers.

http://eatingisthehardpart.com/


http://kelly.cybr.org/

http://www.onlyhereforthefood.ca/

http://www.acanadianfoodie.com/

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/86?tag=bd;main_body







Credit where credit is due. That poster on Chowhound worded it right. The Burger at Rodeo Burger is amazing. For "fast food".  From great buns to the toppings to the meat. All fresh. And excellent quality.
The fries? Very good as well.
The only gripe I had, was the absolute ignorance of the staff on Allergy issues. I had Isabella with me and inquired about gluten free options (They offer a Naked Burger). "Are you from Mars?" I could read it in the manager's eyes. He was baffled by my questions. All of them. I lost him quickly. Stumbling answers only. Horrible.
But then, I guess not many Celiacs hang out at Burger places. You go to Burrito places, which, oh so convenient, there is one right next door to Rodeo Burger. Burrito Libre!

Same owner. Same staff......a bit more informed. But not by much.
It's one thing to staff places with inexpensive labor from the Philipines, but it's another thing  not to train them. Or am I too demanding? 98% of us can eat gluten after all. Is my Blog getting too slanted towards the needs of Celiacs?
But you see, I had Isabella with me. So I had to find something GF. And she is spoiled by what she gets at home.
She would not accept a Burger without the Bun...her mother makes the best gluten free Hamburger Buns out there.
Note to the owner: If you let Celiacs bring in their own Buns, you get a massive boost in business. Your Burgers are fantastic. With Kinnikinnick in your back yard and an active Celiacs disease Chapter, I feel that Edmonton is the Celiac Capital of North America.



Happy ending: This place is the best Abklatsch of Chipotle's north of the border. From their "feel good" mission statement to the Tabasco Sauce at the table to the excellent quality of the food. They nailed it. Isabella got a couple of outstanding Tacos, she was happy and full. So was I from an excellent Burger next door.



A GREAT CONCEPT ( FRANCHISE SOON?)

WHAT THEY SHOW YOU

CLEAN, COOL DESIGN

WHAT YOU GET! (UNLIKE AT OTHER PLACES...)

GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS BETTER HERE

BLA BLA BLA


MEAT HAD EXCELLENT FLAVOR


MY FAVORITE TACO HEAD

3 comments:

A Canadian Foodie said...

Nothing like reading a blog from out of town to find out where to eat here! HAHA. I do read all of our local blogs - and the list is so long now - but not as long as the ones in Calgary. Vanja will be thrilled to hear about this place!
:)
Valerie

又來las045honj_greenblatt02 said...

cool blog,期待更新........................................

Chase Sereda said...

Hey Celiac Husband!

Note from the owner here; Please feel free to bring in your own buns in the future to Rodeo Burgers. We are happy to help our customers manage their allergies in any way we can.

Thanks for you kind words about our brands and we hope you'll visit us again soon!

Chase Sereda
(604) 762-0895
chasesereda@hotmail.com