Monday, December 07, 2009

HUNAN FOOD

SPICY BEEF

Snowy Calgary. I did not miss it. AT ALL! -22C, what the heck? Needless to say, below images of my first dinner in Shanghai make my mouth water. That's the sort of comfort food I could use today. Minus 22....I am very peed off.

Hunan cuisine make great use of hot chili peppers, garlic and other great spices. It was a special request to my dining companions and they took me to a great spot in Pudong to experience some spicy food. Apparently hot foods such as red chili peppers dry out and cool down the body, making it easier to handle the heat and humidity in the Hunan region. Huh. Cool down? I was steaming after a few dishes...and sweating.







BRAISED PORK (YES, SKIN ON!)


SPICY CUCUMBER SALAD


LOTUS FLOWER ROOTS (NOT MY FAV)
EXCELLENT FISH

SOME VEGETABLE, SPICY OF COURSE




ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SPICY AGAIN....

THEY ALL LOVE CHICKEN FEET (NOT ME)

HIGH TECH WAIT STAFF WITH DIRECT PDA LINK TO THE CHEF




6 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

The vegetable dishes look great! Chicken feet, however....eeeek! Since I live in a semi-hillbilly populated area, there are gross things at our local stores like chicken feet. I always wonder, how are they eaten? There are toenails on those things still! Do they eat the bones, or just the tiny bits of flesh around them? So unappealing to me.

Chris said...

OMG. That looks amazing. Beyond amazing.

H.Peter said...

Hey Allison,

the girls in the office take a foot at a time, chew off the stuff they can eat inside their mouth and spit out the rest. An art form really.

H.Peter said...

Hello Chris,

it was a great start to a great trip.

A Canadian Foodie said...

I am really surprised at how American it "looks". I somehow didn't expect the dishes in Human Provence to actually look so similar to how they appear here. I didn't expect so much sauce on every dish...
Glad you liked the fish!!
What did the lotus taste like?

H.Peter said...

Hi Valerie,

my agent in Shanghai is now definitely one of the "newly prosperous" and took me to this "upscale place to impress me?

You can have the same food, less "american looking" for a fraction of the price we paid here.

The lotus root is very sweet due to the preparation.