Sunday, November 01, 2009

GLUTEN FREE PEROGIES & RECIPE

I got a new camera. Onwards and upwards!


One of the most frequent inquires at GF Patisserie from clients is if Victoria will ever offer gluten free Perogies. The answer in short is no.
Too time consuming and the girls are doing whatever it takes to keep up with demand for their current line up of baked goods.
Once Victoria finds the right people for an expansion, I know she will offer all sorts of things. Like gluten free savory foods to take home. Think Gulasch, Fettuccine, and of course the quintessential Ukrainian/Canadian dish, Perogies.

Until then, let me tell you, with GF PATISSERIE'S flour mix these were a breeze to make and taste very much like the real thing. Perogies are not high on my list of foods, but I do eat them when they are good. These were good. VERY GOOD.





















Dough:

1 3/4 cups GF Patisserie Flour Mix
Some more for dusting
3 teaspoons Xanthan
2 large eggs
1 tbs. sour cream
1/2 cup water; more as needed
Butter
Salt & pepper
In a large bowl, combine the flour, eggs (Beat them first), sour cream, and 1/2 cup of water. If dough is sticky, add more flour.
While you fill the perogies, put 5 qt. water on to boil.
Drop the perogis in batches into the boiling water, stirring occasionally. When they float to the top, cook for another minute.
Fish them out with a spider and put them in a bowl. Sauté in butter, simply add some salt and pepper.
Bacon & Potato Filling:

3 medium starchy potatoes
2 tbs. unsalted butter; more as needed
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced 2tbs. freshly grated cheese
BACON!






7 comments:

H.Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gfe--gluten free easily said...

Wow, those do look wonderful! I love the filling, too. Must try. Soon. :-)

Shirley

karenk said...

Wow, great pictures. While I like perogies, I love Vareniki which is what I grew up with, a Russian version. They are similar but instead of potatoe filling you use hambuger and onions. The dough recipe that I was taught is much simplier, flour egg and milk but I haven't tried it yet GF. Been craving them though since its been a year. Will have to try and post the results. Your perogies look so good though.

H.Peter said...

Hi Shirley,

I almost called them GF Easily, because really, it looks difficult, but Victoria whipped them up in a minute.

H.Peter said...

Hello Karen,

Actually, one of the things Victoria mused about, how this dough could very much be used for thigns like pot stickers. Steam and fry.

A Canadian Foodie said...

I'm trying these! The two thumbs up recommendation got me immediately! I have 2 friends who come to dinner I am always looking for gluten free recipes for!
:)

paigedayspring said...

I bet this dough would make fantastic dumplings and ravioli, too. I was so excited to see this recipe in the Edmonton Journal yesterday!