Tuesday, October 20, 2009

GLUTEN FREE FISH & CHIPS

All from scratch. Fish, batter, fries. Tartar sauce too. Nothing pre made. I bought the fish at T&T Supermarket, I think it was still moving when the guy cut up my pieces...very fresh fish.

While I was prepping the sauce, fries and trimming the fish, Victoria made the batter with gluten free beer.
Actually really easy and it turned out just fantastic. Greasy greatness. I sprinkled the fries with Truffle oil & salt to give them some extra flavor.

The batter was light and flavorful from the beer.
Very unfortunately my camera is now broken (I saw it coming) and I was unable to show an image of the fish inside the batter. The final picture. Did not happen.

But believe me, it was a great meal.

Recipe for the batter at the end of the post.





ALL FRESH, ALL FROM SCRATCH



CONDIMENTS




COD, FRESH




HAND CUT FRIES



EXTRA FLAVOR FOR THE FRIES


HOME MADE FRIES



SMALL PIECES OF FRIED FISH



Batter:
enough for 4 servings, plenty of fish.
3/4 Cup of GF Patisserie flour mix
Salt
2 Tbls spoons of Apple Vinegar
1 Egg
1 Cup of gluten Free Beer
Mix it all up till smooth, drag the fish trough (after you dusted it with flour) the batter, slide into 375F hot oil and wait until golden brown.
Or just come over to our house the next time.






11 comments:

Victoria said...

You need to mention, to dredge the fish in gf flour before dipping in the batter. Also, there is 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp xanthan in the batter mixture.

Glomama said...

I think I am quitting my job and moving in with your family after seeing this post. OMG, I so want to make this!!!!!!!! And with some nice cold GF beer to boot!!!!!!!!

Allison the Meep said...

Whoa. That looks incredible. Thanks for sharing the batter recipe - I will definitely be giving this a try.

H.Peter said...

Victoria, details details....I am not into the details. Give them the broad strokes.

H.Peter said...

Glomama,

bring your family!

H.Peter said...

Hello Allison,

how are things over there?

These fish & chips were AMAZING!
Try it, so easy.

Robb said...

You can do a similar recipe with a GF corn flake/cornmeal coating that crisps up very nicely...but I'm pretty sure it tastes nowhere NEAR as good as something out of Victoria's kitchen.

Term Papers said...

Well I go country to country for tasting different dishes. Gluten Free Fish & Chips sounds brilliant. I will go for it.

Term Papers said...

Well I go country to country for tasting different dishes. Gluten Free Fish & Chips sounds brilliant. I will go for it.
Term papers

beigs said...

I have made this recipe about 4 times, and each time it is amazing! Losing fish and chips was terrible for me, thank you for giving it back

H.Peter said...

That is good to hear Beigs