Sunday, September 27, 2009

CELIAC DOG?
















Well you know it's a trend if you can find gluten free dog food. Terri-Lynn, Marc's wife ,pointed out a new pet treat for sale at COSTCO.

WHEAT GLUTEN FREE dog treats. What's next? Dog Biopsy? Can we write that off from our taxes? Regular dog treats are free (in our house the dog gets scraps), this container set me back 15.00. Hmmmm. I can just see the note from Revenue Canada. "Dear Mr. Celiachusband, have you completely lost your mind????"

But then, true enough, Victoria pointed out we love our dogs and the same as people try to treat themselves to the best, why shouldn't dogs get the best as well? Ehm, nice argument, darling. BUT they are DOGS! Dogs do weird things to themselves. You know where this is going....I don't have to type it.

Anyway, shorten the post Peter, there are talented people who blog much better.

We did buy a container, one with those pretty paw prints on it, so Isabella does not confuse the treats with the Oatmeal cookies from GF PATISSERIE.

Ehm, seriously, reading the ingredients, makes me wonder out loud here......oatmeal, honey, rice flour, flax, yoghurt, someone please call 911, I have seen that recipe somehwere on a desk around this house....


Emily, the family pet, was very surprised about all the fuss and her being the centre of attention for no apparent reason. With much hesitation she sniffed the container, waiting for my next move. And guess what. She likes the treats. She likes them very much. As much as oatmeal cookies.

Isabella is envious enough that I would not put it past her to sneak a treat for herself one day when we are no watching....they do smell good. I agree. Like gluten free oatmeal cookies.




















6 comments:

Victoria said...

This would be good for a wheat free dog, not a gluten free dog. Very interesting, the writing on the label.

Allison the Meep said...

I love that gluten-free pet food and treats are becoming available. Besides not wanting to feed my cat cheap filler wheat food, I also think it's good as a safety issue for me. Touching the food and worrying about stray crumbs getting airborne and somehow getting into my mouth. Also, my cat has a kibble beard after he eats, and I know it gets all over our house. Good to know that at least it's not gluten coating every surface he touches.

H.Peter said...

Good morning Allison,

as a matter of fact, Victoria said something very similar about that.

Catie said...

My cats have been on wheat free food for longer than I've been gluten free. One of the cats gets sick if she eats wheat - a holistic vet in Kelowna diagnosed it when she was under a year old. I don't find the kibble or wet food that much more expensive than normal food if you compare it to the better quality foods available and not the kinds that you find in the supermarket. Wheat free cat treats are harder to find.

We get kibble & wet food at Tailblazers and the vet.

karenk said...

You will most likely see more and more of these sorts of products for dogs. There are actually a lot of dogs that do have wheat allergies. While I don't know for sure if it was the wheat or maybe something else in my dogs food but he started to really ich and scratch constantly. Switched his food to a non-wheat food that is good for dogs that may have food allergies and scratching stopped. Im not to fussy on his treats as he doesn't get them often, not a daily thing. Good point about contamination, I had never thought of the fact of crumbs from the dog food. I might be tempted to include something like those wheat free treats on my income tax... but maybe it might give them a cause to audit me...
Again thanks for a great post H. Peter...definately one of my favorite blogs to read.

bruleeblog said...

I have friends whose dog cannot eat wheat either - they've had to use rice crackers as doggy treats instead.