Wednesday, June 24, 2009

GLUTEN FREE MACARONS







Calgary NOT being a french influenced city, there certainly is a shortage of good Macarons here. A year ago I told Victoria to start making some, as I firmly believe that they are not only excellent, they are also in demand. Maybe one day.....

However, there is a great little french place in Calgary, called L'Epicerie. Located right next door to our local chocolate king, Bernard Callebaut and flanked on the other side by Manuel Latruwe, who makes this city's best baguette, L'Epicerie has some excellent foot traffic built in from the two neighbors.
I finally made it there the other day and it is a gem to go for a quick sandwich (NOT GF) or soup. The owner makes his own Pates and next time I will ask if they are gluten free.
What I found this time that was 100% gluten free, are Macarons. That little french delight of almond flour and egg whites, filled with jams, creams or ganache.

Raspberry and Chocolate were the choices he had that day, so I bought a couple of them for Victoria. A little hint maybe? A perfect treat to make at GF Patisserie.....
Image credit of the door picture goes to the guys at foodosopher.

No comments: