Saturday, June 06, 2009

GLUTEN FREE CUPCAKES
















This is not my first post on cupcakes and I doubt it is my last. Already a year ago my opinion was that the cupcake craze is over. Wrong I am.

As a matter of fact, today I am going to check out BLISS, a bakery that focuses on those cupcakes in Calgary's Chinatown. It's a regular bakery, not gluten free. But I am curious, as they got a lot of comments on Chowhound.

On Wednesday Victoria made a small batch of gluten free cupcakes for a special order and there were a few left. So I decided to put a small note on Facebook (Yes, I hijacked GF Patisserie's Facebook page) since many of GF Patisserie's customers are on there. Just to make sure people know that there are some cupcakes.

Wow. The power of Facebook. Victoria got so many emails and phone calls, she had to make quite a few more batches to just keep up with the requests. This just shows how much I know about trends.... what about my poppy seed cake? Why did THAT never take off the way cupcakes did? I was very sure of it being the next thing. THREE YEARS AGO.

Anyway, I am not going to wax about the quality of GF Patisserie's cupcakes, those of you who already tried some, can attest that they are brilliant. For sure GF Patisserie has the nicest wrappers, imported from Italy.
Personally, no problem if there are not any, I can live without them, but when Victoria brings home a few of the ones with chocolate ganache, I eat them all.
As a small side note, yes the last images was taken today, June 6th, 2009. We woke up to snow on the ground.
Victoria is adamant it is a sign for us to open up a GF B&B in the south of France. So I told her I will poll you:

Q.: Will you follow us to the south of France, and stay at our Bed & Breakfast, where it's all gluten free, all the time?




11 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

If I ever vacation in France, and I do hope to one day, I will definitely stay at your GF B&B.

kemenloth said...

While I love Bliss, I have to say that GF Patisserie makes my favourite a.k.a. the BEST cupcakes anywhere in the Calgary/Cochrane/Banff/probably Alberta radius. The cake is absolutely delectable, and as such, the frosting isn't even necessary, but it makes a lovely thing even lovelier. I wish you guys could supply them to a convenient cafe/store location in Calgary...the Oolong Tea House, for instance, is now carrying little gluten-free pudding-type things (no idea who makes them) -- but imagine if they were supplying the GF Patisserie's cupcakes! Even gluten-eaters would go crazy for them!

Anyway, sitting here on a rainy/snowy day and thinking about cupcakes has finally made me post a comment, although I've been following your blog for ages (lurking, I guess). Thanks for keeping the fans of the GF Patisserie updated!

H.Peter said...

hey Allison,

don't rush. Victoria is just fed up with the weather.

H.Peter said...

hello there long time Lurker,

thanks for the ringing endorsement of GF Patisserie.

August 28th is their first birthday and I am 99% only better thigns to come in terms of availability.

Victoria has plans to get into (very) select places.
For example Primal Grounds uses her Flax Bread for soups and sandwiches.

But you are absolutely right, it would be very convenient to bite into her pastries closer to home.

bruleeblog said...

Why is it that I'm always amused when Calgary gets snow and Edmonton doesn't? ;)

H.Peter said...

Hi Kim,

I am fairly cranky over the weather here this year so far.

France looks better every day.

ellorneo said...

I was quite amused to see the snow fall on Saturday. We went to the opening day of the farmer's market in Cochrane and made the most of it!

H.Peter said...

Hi Lorne,

so what you are saying is, we won't see you in the south of France?

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi H. Peter,

I'll come to the South of France the minute I win the lottery! I've eaten nothing but my own cooking for a year and a half. It would be so luxurious stay at your B & B!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

The cupcakes are lovely, but WOW on the snow. I'll stay at your B&B, too!

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Hi Shirley,

yes, the snow. Can you believe it?

Oh well. Choices.