Saturday, May 09, 2009

GLUTEN FREE VALENCIA ORANGE CAKE (NOT FROM STARBUCKS)





























Over the past few month a lot of marketing and hype (which come to think of it, is the same) surrounded that gluten free cake coming soon to a Starbucks near you. If you live in the US.
Starbucks Canada does not know if they will get this cake into their stores or not. Overpromise, underdeliver.


In discussion about my disappointments with Victoria, she mentioned that seven years ago she already made this cake with a recipe she found online. I go, "Bullshit, you did not". I would remember. A flourless orange cake?
Anyway. Victoria dug deep into her old papers from our Las Vegas days and DID find that scrap of paper with the flourless Valencia Orange cake. It originated from Tina Davis in Jerusalem who forwarded it to Martha Shulman who posted it online. So Starbucks can make a flour less Orange cake for Celiacs. In the US. Not in Canada. Or Jerusalem.
Victoria made it for me. Just to show that Starbucks is like the rest of us. Not some miracle bakery I made them out to be.

Great cake. You have to use the whole orange, peel and all, which is a strange concept but it works. Just boil the oranges for two hours. Mush them up. Mix it up with the rest. Incredible flavor. Excellent texture. Simple and few ingredients.

Now I know where all that pulp goes from the Orange Juice we buy WITHOUT pulp. Starbucks is buying it to make your flourless Valencia Cake. Enjoy, America.













2 comments:

GFE--gluten free easily said...

Oh, yeah, that looks fabulous!! Your conversation with Victoria cracked me up. See that woman spoils you so much you don't even remember all the great food you've had! LOL

This sounds very similar to Nigella Lawson's clementine cake ... a cake I've been planning on making for years, but have not yet. My friend made it though and she said it's even better the second day! I'm sure Victoria's will be, too. So, enjoy it tomorrow. Poor Victoria though ... she made her own Mother's Day cake. But, I'm sure you and Lauren will take care of her tomorrow though. ;-)

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Hello Shirley,

happy Mother's day to all of you moms out there.

Let me tell you, years ago, in the US, Victoria was baking something GF every other day.
To a degree it was glorious for me, because as you know I really do love sweets.

It was the experimenting phase, I think.
I was also much much more active working then, so many things are just a blur. Like this cake. But she had the proof.

her daughters are taking Victoria out all day today, so yes, Victoria will get treated very well today. Deservedly so.