Tuesday, April 14, 2009

GLUTEN FREE BEER











One of the pleasures of free time is that you can actully look for things that a daily schedule with work and home may not always permit.
When we arrived, Victoria really wanted to find Red Bridge Beer, that gluten free version of beer by Anheuser Busch.

Whole Foods to the rescue. Even cold ones in the cooler!
Now, I need to say that even though I am from Austria, beer is not my beverage of choice and my experience with beer is limited. Same goes for Victoria, for obvious reasons.
But for the sake of tasting, we both tried it.

The good news, it smells like beer. Even foams up nicely. The color was a bit dark, similar to Malt beer in Austria.
The taste is different though. More on the sweeter side, I would like to compare to a Miller Light? Well, maybe a light version of a Miller Light

We finished one bottle between us and came to the conclusion that we went so long without beer, that we won't start drinking it now...so look out for a bread or something made at GF Patisserie with the beer from the remaining 5 bottles...

9 comments:

Rebekka said...

Niiiiiice!

GFE--gluten free easily said...

I was never a beer drinker either. I tried Redbridge quite some time ago and thought it was okay. But lots of people do enjoy it and it is probably the least expensive GF beer.

Shirley

ellorneo said...

I hear beer is great for adding to breads. Actually, I think you told me that...

H.Peter said...

Hi Shirley,

beer never was a favorite of mine.
Not even back in Austria.

H.Peter said...

Hey Lorne,

right you are. I mentioned to add beer to your Pizza dough for a richer flavor.

Richard said...

I will be visiting the bakery as soon as I get back from the High Arctic.

Meanwhile does anybody know where to get Redbridge Beer around Calgary. Thanks, Richard

H.Peter said...

Richard,

give me some notice when you will visit the bakery.
No liquor license, but 4 bottles of Red Bridge for a "donation"

leftover from April....

Richard said...

Well, thanks very much.
I will be back in Calgary in 2 weeks or so but will let you know sooner the date.

Switch2GlutenFree said...

Redbrigde is my favorite of the 6 that I've tried- not including the ciders- followed closely by New Grist then Bards. I also really liked Green's.

I recently did a gluten free beer tasting video with some friends, and they concur that Redbridge is most like "normal" beer.