Monday, March 23, 2009

GLUTEN FREE CRAB CAKES






















Crab Cakes are one of my favorite appetizers when we dine out. It is also an appetizer I cannot share with Victoria, as I have never seen them made without gluten. COSTCO to the rescue.

During a recent trip I saw this bucket of crab meat in a cooler. Reading the ingredients, you know it's a winner. Crab meat. Nothing else.

As a binder we used GF PATISSERIE'S gluten free bread crumbs and some eggs. (Don't throw out any of your left over GF Bread says Victoria, let it dry out and make bread crumbs)

Some minor flavoring, a nice Wasabi Remoulade as condiment and the perfect crab cakes for Celiacs are ready.












Really much easier to make than you would think. Go to Costco, there are three in Calgary!

12 comments:

sonia sin gluten said...

Hi I have a granddaughter and a blog about celiac disease, the treatment of spreading the disease worldwide.
this direction.
http://minietasingluten.blogst.com
your friend

karenk said...

You seem to find the best stuff at Costco. I get so frazzled with trying to get in and get out that i don't take the time to look at new items and read lables. So thanks for the tips on your trips, I will look for the crab next time.

H.Peter said...

Hi Karen,

yes, it is amazing what you can find at Costco.
And I agree, it's a frantic place in there. Yet, I love COSTCO.

H.Peter said...

Ola Sonia,

Nice Blog you got. So many languages!

GFE--gluten free easily said...

You're right, crab cakes are very easy to make GF. Being here on the east coast of the U.S., crabs are our staple food ... especially during the season. Yours look terrific.

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Thanks for the comments Shirley,

Many years ago, I was able to spend quite some time in Savannah (pre Forrest Gump) and the seafood was truly amazing.
It's a great area of your great country

GFE--gluten free easily said...

Savannah is terrific. One of my favorites places. We ate lots of crawdads while there last time. ;-) Haven't been there in many years myself. Did you ever read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? It was really neat to see/tour Savannah after reading that book. There was a movie, too, but of course, it wasn't nearly as good.

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Yes, it's an incredible place. It was 1992 when I I spent 4 month there, while the boat got a repair- and paint job.
The last month we were moored on the river just in front of the Hyatt.

The movie sucked big time, the book was great.
Possibly the best 4 month on the boat, no work, all play.

GFE--gluten free easily said...

Ooooh, nice ... one question: "blow boat" or "go boat"? ;-)

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Go Boat!

GFE--gluten free easily said...

LOL ... that was my guess. We are blow boaters. Don't own ... only crew or charter. Will write more via email.

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Hi Shirley,

yes, I do not have patience. So imagine me crossing the Atlantic on a sail...