Wednesday, February 25, 2009

JET LAG IN HONG KONG











The flight from Vancouver clocked in at 13 hours and 37 minutes, gate to gate. Add to that the flight from Calgary and a couple of hours layover in Vancouver. Long trip. Confused inner clock.
So I booked a decent hotel in a neighborhood location, not on a hot spot like TST or Central.

The first night is crucial for me when I travel, I need a good bed, nice pillows and a hot shower.
This hotel delivered. Located in Sheun Wan, west of Central, in the middle of a residential area.
Despite a good bed, I was up by 4am, CNN was boring, so I decided to go for a walk and find a breakfast spot that's open. Not a Starbucks.

Less than 3 minutes I did find a Dim Sum place that was open and full with patrons. No english menu, fairly authentic, including a shirtless server. Perfect place....
The lack of communication was overcome by showing me all the available dumplings, I pointed at the two most appetizing ones and a cup of rice. Pot of tea, no coffee, I was set. No idea what was in the dumplings, but for me, that's half the excitement.
A great start for this trip to China.

10 comments:

bruleeblog said...

Hmm based on the photo it looks like har gow (shrimp) and sui mai (pork).

H.Peter said...

Thanks. They were very good.

Great place to hang out and watch the locals.

ellorneo said...

I'm jealous! I want to explore some place like that! If only I could source people to buy planes, but those type of people usually come to us...

Nicole said...

You're a brave, brave man. What if you found an armpit hair in your dumpling? :P

nanacyshevell said...

That's really great information "Jet lag In Hong Kong". Hope next time i will see and visit your place... thanks for sharing your information.

For more information visit at: Discount Hotels In Hong Kong

H.Peter said...

Hi Nicole,

never look too close at food in foreign places.

H.Peter said...

Lorne,

selling your kind of planes might be a good way to get over here..

GFE--gluten free easily said...

Glad the hotel and meal turned out to be what you needed! Can't believe you are "out and about" again. ;-)

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Hi Shirley,

out and about? HARD WORK!!

GFE--gluten free easily said...

H.Peter--LOL Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you weren't working hard! I just meant you were jet setting somewhere else again. Travel is hard (much more so for business I think), but it's exciting and energizing at the same time. I love to travel. Thanks for sharing with us while you are away. :-)

Shirley