Friday, February 20, 2009

IS THIS SOUP GLUTEN FREE??







Isabella spent the day with me today driving around visiting clients and inevitably around 11am she starts to get hungry and wants a snack or something.
I was en route into the city and close to Bridgeland where I remembered a good looking establishment, called THE MAIN DISH.

Half self serve resto, half take out, I had an excellent espresso there once. The food looked appealing, so I decided to buy my daughter a bowl of soup or something there.
Isabella is on a gluten free diet, so I have to watch what she gets to eat.

Tomato soup with Polenta. Pretty safe with a good chef, right? Tomatos, veggies, spices and Polenta. To be sure, I did ask the question about gluten free ingredients.
Ah. The response was comical and very uninformative. The cook who was very pleasant, went to ask the head chef before she came back out and gave me a long monologue about "Polenta having lots of gluten because it's really sticky, you know?" "The corn when it's ground just creates it's own consistency", etc., etc. Ehm, yes or no? Gluten free or not?

I really appreciated the effort made, but had to bite my lip so she would not catch me laugh. It was similar to a politician trying to say NOTHING in a two minute sentence.

Anyway, I took the calculated risk and let Isabella have a go at the soup. No harm done and the soup was EXCELLENT! So good in fact, that I can recommend it! So does Isabella with two thumbs up. The Polenta added a really nice richness to the whole soup.



5 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Your recipes look wonderful...will have to come back and visit often!

H.Peter said...

You are welcome Melanie.

GFE--gluten free easily said...

Soup is one thing I really miss at restaurants. So often there is added wheat or barley. It's very frustrating because you don't have to add gluten to make good soup. And, I know what you mean about the bizarre conversations you can have with wait staff and even chefs on gluten (like the chef who told me that panko bread crumbs were GF). Glad it worked out okay!

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Hi Shirley,

sometimes staff try so hard to make youhappy, without thinking it through....

Soups are indeed the easiest to make GF.

Hmmmm, maybe you just gave me an idea here for GF Patisserie? Take out soups next winter?
Change them weekly

GFE--gluten free easily said...

I believe you would draw in a whole new crowd with GF soups! There are some people who think they eat too healthy to frequent a bakery, but who would love soup. If you made a big pot (or two) daily and just stopped serving when you ran out, I dare say you'd have people there every day. And, they might just buy some bread to go with that soup ... or a dessert. Before going GF, I often went to a deli near work and just got soup and a beverage. (No bread or dessert was offered.) Some weeks I went three times. :-) You could do a survey here and at the Patisserie on what kinds folks would be interested in. My faves include potato, crab, split pea, vegetable, vegetable beef, butternut squash, and French onion (how many places can you get that GF?).

Shirley