Thursday, January 15, 2009

GLUTEN FREE NANAIMO BAR







OK. It's the Prototype. Not yet ready for sale. Victoria is a perfectionist and since she has never tasted the real thing, she wants to compare first and then make it again.

I agree that the custard needs to be firmer, but the rest? Unreal. Nice coconut flavored base made of cookie crumbs, the custard had enough sweetness and of course Callebaut chocolate.
Isabella gave it one thumb up, she would have given it two thumbs, but was too busy eating a second piece. She was on a sugar buzz last night....

For all the readers outside Canada, a Nanaimo bar is truly a regional Canadian treat. It is a no bake chocolatey treat that was first created in the town of Nanaimo, BC.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Yum yum yum! I LOVE nanaimo bars! They be so good with all their sugar buzzy-ness. Isabella is one lucky girl!

ellorneo said...

Sounds good, now I want one! Isabella is lucky to have such a talented baker in the house!

H.Peter said...

Isabella is lucky indeed. She gets to test eat along side me all the time...

GFE--gluten free easily said...

It looks like a recipe I used to make in my gluten days called eclair cake. I know it's not the same because the Nanaimo bars have coconut, but both are no-bake and delicious. There are slightly different variations of the eclair cake. Here's one:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,150185-226192,00.html

So, obviously, Victoria makes her own GF graham crackers. I haven't been tempted to make them, but for a recipe like this one it just might be worth it!

Shirley

H.Peter said...

Good afternoon Shirley,

The recipe is fairly simple, yet time consuming as each layer needs time to prep and let settle.

Victoria makes her own cookie dough for both cookies and cake bases (Cheesecake), but not sure if they are Graham wafers.
Very buttery, thats all I know.

Caitlin said...

PLEASE let me know as soon as they are ready and on sale. I would kill for a Nanaimo Bar. I've tried a few GF ones before and even though they looked the same, they sure didn't taste the same!

Oh I'm shaking with excitement and anticipation.

H.Peter said...

Hello Caitlin,

your inquiry made me tell Victoria to start experimenting.

I hoped you would read this before the weekend, there were free tasters on Saturday....

Keep you posted.