Friday, January 30, 2009

GF SPECIAL ORDERS--STAR WARS CUPCAKES
















Lauren again...I know, I know, I was supposed to come and guest write more often. I started my own blog again and forgot about it. If only I could say I had too much going on all the time (this is sometimes the case, but theceliachusband will tell you I pretty much will come home after work and nap on the couch)

When I'm not napping or out doing something with a friend, I'm usually on my laptop. Facebook, both personal and for the bakery, and browsing the web. Lately I've really been on a special order cakes kick, because I love shows like Ace of Cakes where they get to spend all of their hours making one of a kind cakes for people. The dream job, nothing you make is ever the same...

One of the questions we get asked the most at the bakery is "What do you do for birthdays??" Yep we do cakes, for the most part just sheet cakes. This week one of our customers sent an e-mail to get a special order for her son's birthday. He is getting a Darth Vader cake (lucky kid!), but one of the invites was celiac. The first choice was a light saber cake, but they went with cupcakes instead. I did the fondant pieces on my own time, since I was just so happy to get my hands on some again...they were really easy to make too!

So here they are, featuring Darth Vader (of course), Anakin (you have to have him before he turned villain), and Luke (because he's vital). Of course, I would have loved to do every beloved character, but that would have required me to make a billion different colours for the fondant...

6 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

Those are amazing!! I just made a GF clone trooper cake for my 5 year old son last week! I love the idea of individual little cupcakes with heads and lightsabers.

Do you make your own fondant? Or do you know of a supplier that is GF? I'm not trying to steal any ideas, but I would like to open a GF bakery in my town someday and I'm trying to pick up tips from willing people. If you don't want to share though, I completely understand! :)

H.Peter said...

Hi Allison,

I forward the request to Lauren. She may tell you a few pointers on email.

What I like about the whole deal is parents who come to the bakery telling the girls how grateful they are for what GF Patisserie is doing for their kids.

I could go on with stories, but my darling Victoria is very modest and does not like me bragging on here....
I can tell you she lives for kids' happiness. She loves it when they show up with their parents in tow and pick a favorite Brownie or cookie, because there is no worry for them in this palce. All edible, all good.

Lauren Jane Marie said...

Thanks! I had fun doing them...

For these I didn't make my own fondant...as I won't for pieces that aren't really going to be eaten (the pre-made stuff generally tastes too sweet or just terrible). I believe most are GF, but I haven't looked into it yet. I used Wilton (the worst tasting..) McCalls is another pre-made one but I haven't seen the ingredients list since school last year.

I will be making my own fondant sometime soon, and I'll post the results on my blog (i'm sure Peter will link to it), since you can control the flavour better. Its also better for colouring because you can colour it during the process (or add things like cocoa to get darker colours without all the food colouring).

A lot of people like whats called "marshmallow fondant", but a problem is that marshmallows aren't always GF...

GFE--gluten free easily said...

Wow, those cupcakes are quite impressive! The faces are very neat!

Shirley

bruleeblog said...

Adorable!

Clark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.