Saturday, December 06, 2008

THE NOODLE MEISTER
















My flight home is not until 6pm, so I had all day to walk the neighborhood around my hotel today. Located in Pudong, the newer part of Shanghai, there is a vibrant residential area just steps outside the lobby. No better way to see and experience China than where the locals live, shop, eat and drink.

In a very small side street behind the hotel is this small noodle shop, where you can order the freshest noodles, fried with veggies or just in a bowl of soup, anyway you want them prepared. The kitchen was open towards the street, so I took some pics of the guy making the noodles as the orders roll in.

For myself, I just pointed at another diner's bowl and they understood the strange foreigner...noodle soup. Easy.
Then I walked back outside to watch the cook prepare my order.
He cuts a small piece of dough off a big pile on his table, stretches them out all by hand, until they reach the required thickness. Apparently I ordered flat noodles, but I also watched him make really thin, round rice noodles for other orders.

Those are the moments a video camera would be much better to convey the action. The noodles went into a huge pot of boiling water, just for a couple of minutes, thrown into a bowl, then the server added some Cilantro, chives and slices of beef, I added a small spoon of chili oil, which made for an excellent bowl of soup. I paid 6 RMB which equates to about a buck in Canada, or .80 cents in US currency.

5 comments:

ellorneo said...

Looks delicious! Were the noodles you ordered just regular pasta noodles? Or are they all rice noodles? I'd like to learn to make that!

H.Peter said...

he had two piles of dough, one for rice noodles, one for regular.

Mine were regular wide noodles.

Nicole said...

That looks so good! Lorne is going to try to make a soup like this.

The guy in the picture is super cute. He looks so happy!

You really do need a video camera :o)

H.Peter said...

The soup was excellent. Never had fresher noodles.

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

That was lanzhou lamian, beef noodles often cooked and served by the Muslim minorities (e.g. Hui) in China.

I love those noodles too, about the only thing "local" I dare to eat at the moment.