Thursday, November 06, 2008

CHIPOTLE KEEPS IT SIMPLE











Mexican food. Mostly rice and beans. Some meat and salsa. That's it. Very simple. How great is that?
If you like Avocado, add some Guacamole. Or cheese if you prefer. For me, both.

That pretty much sums up one of the greatest Mexican casual food joints in the US, that serves fast. I am trying to avoid the word Fast Food, because CHIPOTLE'S is anything but. In concept it is fast food, but in delivery it is much more than that. Simple delicious Mexican food.

If you cannot eat gluten, they are there for you. They understand it. Change their gloves for you, so there is no cross contamination. The only thing you cannot eat is the flour Tortilla, everything else, Tacos, beans, Cilantro flavored rice, all their meats and sauces and our favorite, Burrito Bowls are GF. Nice, large orders and in a casual food scale, rather inexpensive. $15.00 for two.

At one point the Denver based original founder sold a huge chunk of his company to McDonald's, who later on took the company public and sold all their shares. It was one of the most successful investments for McDonald's.
A Toronto based company has introduced a similar concept to Canada, Mucho Burrito. We tried their food a few weeks ago in Edmonton and though they try hard, there is still room for improvement. Mucho Burrito is opening a spot in NW Calgary soon, so let's hope that management is going on a few more "flavor finding" missions.
Gluten free requests limit you to a very light salad with some meat and salsa, not as nice as CHIPOTLE.






8 comments:

Angi, Kyle, and Deak said...

You are killing me with all of the US restaurants! I used to go to Chipotle twice a week... I wish there was one here. You make me homesick for Utah!

H.Peter said...

So sorry.
I can relate.
Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are next!

But you know Chipotle just opened in Toronto, so just anotehr couple years before they make it here...

ellorneo said...

GF means Gluten Free! I just figured that out!

I love mexican food. It always is tasty!

H.Peter said...

I am sure you were thinking GF stands for girl friend.......

ellorneo said...

Actually, I just thought it was a cool name. I never put that one together.

ellorneo said...

Maybe it stands for Go Fetch!

H.Peter said...

GREAT FUN?

ellorneo said...

Got figs?