Friday, September 26, 2008

DIE SACHER TORTE (GLUTEN FREE)






Lauren made my day today. I had a somewhat busy day already as well as getting ready for more things tonight, so I had no time to check in on GF Patisserie and see what they were up to for this weekend.

Lauren made Sacher Torte!! Two of them, the trial version she brought home, the perfect one will be available tomorrow.

Recipes there are many, but only a handful are actually good. Moist and soft on the inside, a chocolate ganache glaze, real good apricot jam and a nice side of whipped cream. That simple.

Sacher Torte is named after the hotel with the same name in Vienna and has been around since 1832.
It is safe for me to say that it is one the most copied and unfortunately bastardized cakes out there. Just type Sacher cake into Google images and you will see many strange deviations from a simple, excellent recipe. How fuerchterlich for us Austrians. But most are still excellent, they just try to be creative I guess. If it has sugar, I eat it......no worries.

I may repeat myself here, but this is a GLUTEN FREE VERSION and it BLEW ME AWAY. I am still waiting for this one thing they make, where I can say to Lauren or Victoria, "This really sucks", or "What did you do "?

It just ain't happening. Somehow they got it figured out. Don't ask me, ask them.

5 comments:

ellorneo said...

Looks delicious! Maybe I'll come to Cochrane and try some out today!

H.Peter said...

Did you make it out today?
I was in Cow town at an auction and found a new grocery store.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Wow! I need to plan a trip to Canada! These baked goods look amazing... You are an awesome hubby to support your wife and her gluten free life. :)

~~ chris said...

I just came upon your blog today. I'm a Celiac living in the middle of Alaska. I'd never heard of Celiac Disease until a couple of years ago, so I don't have anything to compare our stores up here to.

With that said, I AM VERY JEALOUS. A restaurant that is gluten free? Wonderful! What's the job market for music teachers like down there. We're moving!

H.Peter said...

The world needs more teachers, no matter what you teach.
Not so sure about Calgary, but come on down.
Glad you like the blog

H.Peter