Thursday, May 01, 2008

YES, THIS IS A GLUTEN FREE MARBLE LOAF



About a year ago when we had one of our cake chats, I mentioned to Victoria that when growing up in Austria, one of my (many) favorites was a marble loaf cake, or as we call it in Austria Gugelhupf. My mother would make it frequently, as it was perfect for afternoon coffee (adults) or a quick breakfast (me....) alike.

Always, always up for a challenge, and happy to surprise me, Victoria found a suitable receipe with which she would attempt to replace the regular flour with her own mix of flours. "Go ahead", I said, not really expecting too much, as it is a very distinct flavor with the real cocoa my mother used, to get the marbelization in the cake.

I am not sure if you have seen the movie Ratatouille, but there is a scene where the famous restaurant critic ANTON EGO is being served a simple Ratatouille, which in his mind reminds him of his childhood and is moved to tears.


Needless to say, I don't cry, but yes, my darling Victoria has magically reproduced my mother's Gugelhupf without Gluten. To this day Victoria claims she saw me well up when I first took a few bites (absolutely not true, nonsense, never, Austrians don't cry), I hardly could believe it. The taste, though made with different flours was 100% identical. I used to order the marble loaf cake at Starbucks all the time, but let me say it's not even on the same planet. Victoria does not tell me much about the baking process, but I had to ask her about this incredible fluffyness. partly incredients she claims, but also Victoria does give credit to the table top CADCO oven she bought. Italian made, it seems to be much better for gluten free baking than most standar ovens we have in our houses.


PLEASE DON'T BITE THE SCREEN, I KNOW IT IS TEMPTING.........

No comments: